Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

My child has

Because childhood should be simple ...

Social services

Social ServicesCook Children's Social Services team works with the patient's family to help them meet their child's ongoing health care needs and assist them in times of physical, emotional and financial stress.

There are social workers assigned to each inpatient floor, emergency department, and the on-campus Specialty Clinics. Similar to doctors and nurses, all social workers must have a Texas license in order to work at Cook Children’s. The LSW/LMSW/LCSW social workers are trained to provide services to patients and their families at Cook Children's.

What does a social worker do?

The social worker’s focus is on the family. They work with doctors, nurses and other hospital staff to make sure the patient's and family’s needs and concerns are addressed so that the child’s ongoing health care needs are met. Social Workers have specialized training to assist families in times of physical, emotional, and financial stress. They are well informed about available resources in the community so they can support families in need.

Summary of the social worker's role:

How can I talk to the social worker assigned to my area?

Social workers are available on all the hospital floors, in the NICU, PICU and the Emergency Department. Ask a staff member in your area to contact the social worker for your unit. There are social workers assigned to all clinic areas. To reach them call the clinic directly, or call the hospital operator, 682-885-4000.

How do I find a social worker?

Social workers are available on in-patient floors during normal business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. 7 days a week. Emergency department social workers are available Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 2:30 a.m., as well as 24 hours a day on the weekend. If there are questions or concerns during a clinic visit, ask clinic nurses or staff to contact the social worker for that specialty.

Rocket Fuel